One of the highest honors a Marygrove College graduate can receive is being selected as a Commencement speaker.
Within the past few years, the Academic Events/Commencement Committee only sought nominations for Commencement Speakers from Faculty and Staff. This year, we would like to engage and invite the students as well.
Given the CRITERIA that follows, this expanded nomination format presents these options:
1. Any member of the Faculty or Staff could nominate a Graduate as Speaker by completing the 2014 Commencement Speaker Nomination Form (attached)
2. A student could tender a 2014 Commencement Speaker Nomination Form for a Candidate (or self-nominate), BUT that student’s Nomination Form would also require a Faculty/Staff SIGNATURE of ENDORSEMENT, AND the endorsing Faculty/Staffer would then complete the 2014 Commencement Speaker Nomination Form (attached)
To be considered, ALL 2014 Commencement Speaker Nomination Forms for any/all Candidates from students and/or their endorsing Faculty/Staff are due by FRIDAY, 3/21/14 to: Dr. Minnie Wilson @ email@example.com – SC 101 (Student Center Building)- 313.927.1258
As you complete the 2014 Commencement Speaker Nomination Form, consider that the Candidate:
1. Has a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
2. Has graduated during August or December 2013 or be eligible to graduate in May 2014.
3. Represents the graduating student body/serves as a role model.
4. Personally embodies the 3C’s – competence, commitment, compassion.
5. Demonstrates sensitivity/respect for Marygrove’s diverse community.
6. Exhibits the ability to write well – capturing the theme, writing with clarity, passion.
7. Is capable of engaging the audience in presentations, performances, creative works, etc.
8. Exhibits ability to speak publicly with clarity, confidence.
Nominated students will be notified 3/28/14 by email and will need to contact Dr. Wilson by 4/2/14 to confirm their interest and submit their BIO INFORMATION. Then, Candidates will be called to schedule their audition (4/14-4/17).
Students not selected to give the “Salute to the Undergraduate or Graduate Students” will be offered alternative opportunities to give the Invocation at Commencement or Welcome! at the Baccalaureate.
Thank you for your timely consideration and support!